Please take some time to read this important message.
At the moment, YAMJ is pretty much just me and I spend in excess of 30 hours a week on it. Think about that, it’s almost another job.
There are occasional other programmers that lend a hand (Ilgizar does a great job for our Russian users), so I am finding it very hard to keep up with the things that need to be done with YAMJ to keep it afloat, let alone try and patch up some of the holes that I see need fixing.
So, this is an appeal, at this "special time of year" as all the commercials say, for any help that you feel you could give to help out YAMJ. Remeber YAMJ is FREE and OPEN SOURCE. You don’t have to pay anything for this software at all!
Primarily, YAMJ could do with some more coders. There are over 2,000 outstanding bugs and enhancement requests out there. If you are at all interested in programming, especially in java, then please speak up. We have a pretty good guide to get you going, and I am always happy to review code before it’s submitted to try and ensure that you don’t break it!
If you don’t know how to program, there’s a long list of other things that need doing, things that you can pick up and put down and spend 5 minutes doing, and things that are a lot more involved. Here’s a list, in no particular order, off the top of my head, of things that would need doing:
- Tidy up the wiki and bring it up to date.
- Lots of pages haven’t been reviewed since they were created. It would be nice for someone to go through and see if they are still valid and up to date.
- Check the code for missing property entries and add them to the properties pages.
- This is a simple, but time-consuming piece of work.
- Check the properties wiki pages and expand on any entries that are lacking detail and remove any that are obsolete.
- Create a "getting started" guides for Flash players
- Create/update a "getting started" guide for HTML players
- Create advanced tips and tricks wiki
- Create a FAQ wiki
- Social media expert.
- We have Twitter, Google+ and Facebook pages. Might be nice if someone could have a go at creating content for those.
- Mediaplayersite needs an overhaul and update.
- This uses Drupal CMS, so if you know how that works, let me know as I would love for it to be better.
- Review the issue list.
- There’s a lot here that I think can be closed/merged.
- A large portion of time for each bug is spent recreating the issue. If someone could re-create the bug and post steps on how you would re-create it, it’d speed the whole process up. There’s no specialist programming knowledge, just YAMJ user knowledge.
- Can’t do any of the above? Use the donate button and send me £1/$1/€1 or whatever you can afford. Every penny is appreciated and does improve my motivation 🙂
If you have ideas along these lines of how to improve YAMJ and the associated services, please let me know. You can email me at omertron at gmail dot com
I can’t promise you anything more than grateful thanks, but it is a very real way that you can give back to YAMJ.
Thank you for your time
Stuart aka Omertron
Consider what your player would be like without YAMJ